Monday, December 3, 2012

Bird hideaway


A friend gave me a canvas with brown marbling and an underpinning of crimson haze. She put a hanger on the back for portrait view. The horizontal lines did nothing for me.

Then a Chinese artist I'd met in a printmaking class sent me a bird she'd painted on rice paper. I turned the background to a landscape view and blended the two art offerings.

Modifications: I put light modeling paste behind the bird, tore the edges, and glued it on the original lines with acrylic medium. I used acrylic paints (VanDyke Brown Hue, Crimson Lake, Indian Yellow Hue) to blend in the rice paper, fade back white lines carrying the eye out of the painting, and create berries. Highlighted with a Staedler watercolor pencil and a deep pink Sharpie fine point marker.

Had some little peacock featherlets: put those on as glowing "grass" with acrylic medium.

Done for now. Might do more later.

No comments: